Doctor Cooper was a lecturer in Occupational Health and Safety at Aston University. For twelve years he was the Programme Director of MSc in Risk Management and Safety Technology offering training and examining new recruits to HM Factory Inspectorate.
At the Engineering Industry Training Board (EITB) he was a Senior Training Adviser and Supervisor in EITB’s West Midland Region. He has also been a Training Adviser based in Cardiff and responsible for validating Craft and Technician training. At the Ministry of Agriculture, Fisheries and Food he was a Mechanisation Advisory Officer, employed to give technical, unbiased advice on machinery to farmers and growers. As a lecturer Doctor Cooper currently delivers law, risk management and work modules at the Robens Institute (European Institute of Health and Medical Studies), Surrey University. Whilst supervising industrial students undertaking research, he also lecturers on general safety to non specialists. He has a variety of local and national clients including the MoD, construction companies, schools, emergency services, engineering, manufacturing and waste management companies and local authorities.
In a consultant capacity Doctor Cooper develops both individuals and their companies in diverse areas of health and safety management. He is a principal examiner for Work Equipment & Machinery (Unit C) of the NEBOSH International Diploma in Occupational Health & Safety. His work for the Health and Safety Executive (Field Operations Division) involves a three year project to train all operational HSE Inspectors in methods of analytical accident investigation for serious and fatal accidents. To date he has been involved in training approximately 300 front line inspectors. Doctor Cooper delivers training in accident investigation and general workplace safety, including Safety Management Systems. He also specialises in workplace risk assessment, machinery and workplace transport safety and vehicle stability.
Doctor Cooper works as an expert witness in civil and criminal cases. Here are some examples of his work:
- Birmingham City Council: Expert witness for the prosecution in a case concerning a forklift truck fatality in a retail warehouse.
- Bishop, Longbotham and Bagnell for the Family of the Deceased: Investigation into an overturned fork lift truck accident at a stone storage yard, Bath.
- Case involving Suffolk County Council: Concerning an accident involving a disc sanding machine in a school workshop.
- Provided construction (Isle of Man) assistance in defending a prosecution arising from a double fatality due to an overturned dumper truck on a sewer replacement project.
- Stewarts Law LLP, London: Expert for the claimant concerning an overturned compact tractor.
- Forest Safety Products: acted for the company as an expert witness in the Patents County Court.